The New Elementary Teacher's Handbook: Flourishing in Your First Year
Besorgung - Lieferbarkeit unbestimmt
BeschreibungThis comprehensive guide from veteran educators gives first-year teachers a multitude of classroom-tested strategies for those critical first days of school. Written in a reassuring tone, this authoritative handbook walks you through setting up your classroom, managing behaviour, planning lessons, assessing students' performance, and partnering with families. Thoroughly updated to meet the needs of today's classrooms, this new edition includes the latest tips on:
- Teaching with technology
- Differentiating instruction for students from diverse backgrounds, including English Language Learners
- Preparing effective standards-based lessons
- Achieving professional growth through job-embedded professional development
Teachers will find resources, samples, templates, homework contracts, strategies, checklists, and proven solutions to everyday challenges. Rest assured that you are not alone, and you will succeed!
About the Authors
1. You Are Not Alone
2. Organizing Your Classroom and Yourself
3. Learner-Friendly Classroom Management
4. Behavior Management and Discipline
5. Preparing Lesson Plans that Engage Students
6. Instructional Methodologies
7. Assessing Student Learning and Performance
8. Developing Partnership with Families
9. Your Own Professional Development
References and Suggested Reading
PortraitIn her 40 years as an educator, Kathleen Feeney Jonson, Professor Emeritus, has been a teacher, taught director of staff development, principal, director of curriculum and instruction, and university faculty. She conducted numerous workshops for teachers and administrators on such topics as reading comprehension strategies, writing process, portfolio assessment, peer coaching, and beginning teacher assistance programs. Until her retirement in summer 2009, Jonson was professor of education and coordinator of the Master in Arts in Teaching Reading program at the University of San Francisco's School of Education. She published three books with Corwin Press, including The New Elementary Teacher's Handbook (1st edition 1997, 2nd edition 2001), Being an Effective Mentor: How to Help Beginning Teachers Succeed (1st edition 2002, 2nd edition 2007), and 60 Strategies for Improving Reading Comprehension in Grades K-8 (2006).
Pressestimmen"An indispensable companion for any new teacher, this book gives excellent advice for avoiding many hurdles and pitfalls and focusing on what's important-becoming outstanding teachers of young children."
Untertitel: Sprache: Englisch.
Verlag: CORWIN PR INC
Erscheinungsdatum: Oktober 2010
Seitenanzahl: 203 Seiten