BeschreibungThis book provides an investigation of the diplomatic system of the EU, embracing commercial policy and foreign and security policy, within the broader study of diplomacy and of the European integration project. It is structured around the interrelated themes of institutional change and the evolving practices of EU diplomacy - the latter in the two key areas of strategic diplomacy, exemplified by EU relations with the BRIC countries, and structural diplomacy, exemplified by EU involvement with the problems of Kosovo and the Congo. The contributors analyze and evaluate the development of the EU's system of diplomacy, with particular reference to the implementation of the Lisbon Treaty, the establishment of the European External Action Service (EEAS) and the emerging practices of EU diplomacy. Bringing together leading academic experts to produce an original approach to the development and operation of the EU's diplomatic system this book makes an important contribution to academic and policy debate on the EU's diplomacy. It will be of wide interest to those studying the international relations of the EU, European Union politics, international relations and diplomacy.
InhaltsverzeichnisIntroduction The Editors Part 1: Frameworks and Concepts
1. The Diplomatic System of the EU: Concepts and Analysis Brian Hocking and Michael Smith
2. The Evolution of the EU's Diplomatic System David Spence Part II: Institutional Change and the Diplomatic System of the EU
3. The Post - Lisbon Institutional Framework Sophie Vanhoonacker and Karolina Pomorska
4. The Practices of Post-Lisbon Diplomacy Simon Duke
5. Negotiating a New World Order: The EU and Multilateral Diplomacy at a time of change Ole Elgstrom
6. The European Union in the World of International Organizations Jan Wouters, Jed Odermatt and Thomas Ramopoulos Part III; Strategic Diplomacy in Action
7. The EU, Strategic Diplomacy and the BRIC Countries: The Challenge of Change Michael Smith
8. The EU and China: The Politics and Economics of Strategic Diplomacy Michael Smith
9. The EU and Russia: A Marriage of Convenience Tom Casier
10. The EU, the US and India: Strategic Diplomacy and Great Power Politics David Allen
11. The EU and Brazil in a Changing World: Strategic Partners or Competitors? Sebastian Santander Part IV: Structural Diplomacy in Action
12. Structural Diplomacy Stephan Keukeleire, Floor Keuleers and Kolja Raube
13. The EU's Structural Diplomacy Towards Kosovo Stephan Keukeleire, Daan Fonck and Raphael Metais
14. The EU in the Congolese Police Reform: Structural Diplomacy without Coordination or Alignment? Arnout Justaert
15. Testing EU Structural Diplomacy: The Challenge of Change in North Africa Patrick Holden Part III: Overview and Conclusions
16. Conclusions Fraser Cameron
PortraitMichael Smith is Professor of European Politics at Loughborough University, UK. Stephan Keukeleire is Professor at the Institute for International and European Policy, at the Catholic University Leuven and the TOTAL Chair of EU Foreign Policy in the Department of EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies at the College of Europe, Belgium. Sophie Vanhoonacker is Jean Monnet Professor and head of the Politics Department at Maastricht University, the Netherlands.
Untertitel: Evolution, Change and Challenges. 'Routledge Advances in European Politics'. 1 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings. Sprache: Englisch.
Verlag: Taylor & Francis Ltd
Erscheinungsdatum: Juni 2015
Seitenanzahl: 310 Seiten