Settlement Morphology of Budapest
BeschreibungThis book presents the results of empirical research conducted by the authors, who personally surveyed the people they met on each and every street, square and public space in Budapest. It has four extensive chapters that discuss urban change and structure in Budapest and feature many rich color illustrations. The first chapter looks at the geographical circumstances impacting the city's urban development in a historical context, as well as the evolution of its functions and demographic processes and the development of the ground plan and settlement structure. The second chapter concerns itself with the way the capital city of Hungary is built, demonstrating the horizontal homogeneity and vertical heterogeneity of development together with development types and locations in Budapest. The third chapter was written about the change in Budapest's urban structure, especially in regard to the years after 1990. It lists the major factors influencing urban structure transformation, followed by a detailed analysis of Budapest's functional zones. Lastly, the fourth chapter provides a detailed introduction to each capital city district, including their creation, development and functional structures.
I. HISTORICAL GEOGRAPHY OF BUDAPEST.
- 1. Geographical circumstances affecting urban development.
- 1.1. Positional energies.
- 1.2. Local energies.
- 2. History of the city: changes in its functions and demographic processes, transformation of the ground plan and the settlement structure.
- 2.1. Preliminaries of urban development.
- 2.2. Roles in the Middle Ages.
- 2.3. Enlargement of the ground plan within the city walls.
- 2.4. From the re-start after the end of Ottoman rule until the Compromise.-2.5. Functional and demographic processes of the Golden Age.
- 2.6.. From organic growth to conscious city development.
- 2.7. Growth of the agglomeration.
- 2.8. Looking for a new place between the World Wars.
- 2.9. Power centre in the state socialist decades.
- 2.10. The contradictory and periodical change of the ground plan image of Greater Budapest .- Summary.-
II. BUILDING UP OF BUDAPEST.
- 1. General issues of building up.
- 1.1. The extent of building up.
- 1.2. Style, form and change of building up.
- 2. Horizontal homogeneity and vertical heterogeneity of building up in Budapest.
- 3. Types of building up and their occurrence in the capital city.
- 3.1. Multi-storey closed lines of buildings.
- 3.2. Single-storey closed lines of buildings.
- 3.3. Terraced houses.
- 3.4. Multi-storey housing blocks .
- 3.5. Multi-storey semi-detached houses.
- 3.6. Villas and villa-like buildings.
- 3.7. Building up with detached houses.
- 3.8. Rural style of building up.
- 3.9. Residential parks .- Summary.-
III. THE FUNCTIONAL STRUCTURE OF BUDAPEST.
- 1. Changes in the urban structure of Budapest .
- 1.1. The times before World War
- 1.2. The period between the two world wars .
- 1.3. The times of state socialism.
- 2. Factors affecting the transformation of the capital city and their impacts after 1990.
- 2.1. A regime change on the market of office buildings.-2.1.1. The number and distribution of office buildings in Budapest.
- 2.1.2. Construction year and morphological features of office buildings in Budapest.
- 2.1.3. Functions and services of office facilities.
- 2.1.4. The role of office buildings in the development of the morphology and structure of the capital city.
- 2.2. Appearance of hypermarkets, specialised stores and shopping centres.
- 2.2.1. Hypermarkets.
- 2.2.2. Specialised stores .
- 2.2.3. Shopping centres.
- 2.3. Development and transformation of the industrial areas.
- 2.3.1. Birth and development of industrial areas until 1990.-2.3.2. The situation of industrial areas after 1990.
- 2.3.3. Industrial parks .
- 3. Functional zones of Budapest after the regime change.
- 3.1. Urban centre/city.
- 3.1.1. Birth and development of the urban centre/city of Budapest .
- 3.1.2. The city centre of Budapest and its present features.
- 3.2. Sub-centres.
- 3.2.1. Historical sub-centres that evolved from previous urban/settlement cores.
- 3.2.2. Sub-centres created in the period of socialism.
- 3.2.3. Sub-centres that evolved after the regime change.
- 3.3. Industrial-economic areas, brownfield zone.
- 3.3.1. North Pest industrial-economic area.
- 3.3.2. East Pest industrial-economic area.
- 3.3.3. South Pest industrial-economic area.
- 3.3.4. Csepel industrial-economic area.
- 3.3.5. South Buda industrial-economic area.
- 3.3.6. Other industrial-economic areas.
- 3.3.7. Military (defence) areas in Budapest.
- 3.4. Urban green areas.
- 3.4.1. Changes of the green areas in Budapest.
- 3.4.2. Green areas in Budapest these days.
- 3.5. Residential areas.
- 3.5.1. Inner residential zone.
- 3.5.2. Outer residential zone.- Summary.- REFERENCES.
Untertitel: 'Springer Geography'. 20 schwarz-weiße und 30 farbige Abbildungen, Bibliographie. Book. Sprache: Englisch.
Verlag: Springer-Verlag GmbH
Erscheinungsdatum: Juli 2016