Water in the Middle East and in North Africa
Lieferbar innerhalb von 2-3 Tagen
BeschreibungWater is the most precious and valuable natural resource in the Middle East and North Africa. It is vital for socioeconomic growth and sustainability of the environment. The editors present the latest research results related to the current water situation, as well as its significance for the peaceful coexistence of the neighbouring countries. The book focuses on the following topics: water resources, water protection, water management and water as a source of conflict. With regard to the protection of ground water and surface water in the respective areas, topics, such as sewage disposal and soil protection, as well as the transfer of environmental technology are also discussed.
Inhaltsverzeichnis1 Water Resources.
- 1.1 Natural Scarcity of Water Resources in the Semi-arid and Arid Middle East and its Economical Implications.
- 1.2 Exploitation of Fossil Aquifers and Future Water Supplies in the Middle East.
- 1.3 Hydrogeological Investigations in the North-Eastern Dead Sea area, Suweimeh, Jordan.
- 1.4 The Jordan River: Natural Flow and Current Consumption by the Riparian Countries.
- 1.5 Hydrology and management of Lake Kinneret aimed at water quality protection.
- 1.6 The Water Crisis in the E. Mediterranean - and Relation to Global Warming?.
- 1.7 Surface Water in Jenin Governorate-Palestine.
- 1.8 Herodion-Beit Fajjar well field of high quality and resource-productivity groundwater endangered by severe over-pumpage.
- 1.9 Water Resources, Protection and Management in Palestine.
- 1.10 The role of transient flow and drainage on regional groundwater flow pattern in semi-arid and arid climates.
- 1.11 Why no Middle East water wars: global solutions to local deficits?.- 2 Water Protection.
- 2.1 Management, protection and sustainable use of groundwater - results of long-term technical co-operation in the Middle East.
- 2.2 Groundwater Vulnerability Mapping in the Arab Region.
- 2.3 Intermittent Water Supply and Domestic Water Quality in the Middle East.
- 2.4 Sewage water treatments and reuse in Israel.
- 2.5 Integrated Wastewater Concepts for Olive Mills in the West Bank, Palestine.
- 2.6 Distribution Pattern of some inorganic pollutants in groundwater and soil of a sewage farm at NE-Cairo/Egypt.- 3 Water Management.
- 3.1 Water Utilization in Semi-Arid Zone, The Hula Valley (Israel): Pollutant removal, agriculture and Ecotourism Management.
- 3.2 Regionalization of hydrogeological Data for use in groundwater modelling: Application to "Insel Hengsen" and at northern Algeria.
- 3.3 Water Resources Management in Palestine: Political, technical and financial obstacles.
- 3.4 Conceptual and numerical flow models of the Western Aquifer - Palestine / Israel.
- 3.5 Ecosan - Introduction of Closed-Loop Approaches in Wastewater Management and Sanitation - A Supra-Regional GTZ - Project.
- 3.6 IMPETUSWest Africa An integrated approach to the efficient management of scarce water resources in West Africa - Case studies for selected river catchments in different climatic zones.
- 3.7 Capacity Building in Water Management in Palestine - Experience of InWEnt Palestinian Water Sector Training programme (1995-2000).
- 3.8 Efficient groundwater-management for organizations with a small financial budget - the continuous improvement method.- 4 Water as Source of Conflict.
- 4.1 Water conflict and water management in the Middle East.
- 4.2 Syria and Turkey in Water Diplomacy (1962-2003).
- 4.3 Water Issue Among the Riparian States of Euphrates and Tigris Transboundary Rivers.
- 4.4 Control, Allocation and Consumption of Water Resources in the Jordan Basin: The Struggle over a Scarce and Vital Resource in the Context of the Middle East Conflict.
- 4.5 Water Conflicts in the Middle East: The Twin Rivers Orontes and Litani.
PressestimmenFrom the reviews:
"This book is one of the few so far dealing with the very 'hot' topic of water resources in one of the most densely populated drought-prone areas of the world - already a source of tension and political conflict. ... the technical quality of the book is fine and authors and editors have been attentive to the layout of graphics and tables, making these easy to read. ... It is to the merit of the editors to have provided the community with this overview ... ." (Environmental Geology, Vol. 46 (8), 2004)
"The Middle East has water problems caused by the scarcity of water coupled with the high growth rates of population. ... This book presents a comprehensive overview of the current situation in the Middle East and North Africa. The water problem is described and discussed in four main chapters and different case studies, contributed by 39 scientists. ... the book addresses experts as well as the interested public." (Tom Van Nieuwerburgh, International Journal of Environment and Pollution, Vol. 28 (1-2), 2006)
Untertitel: Resources, Protection and Management. 2004. Auflage. Book. Sprache: Englisch.
Erscheinungsdatum: Februar 2004
Seitenanzahl: 392 Seiten