Dam Politics: Restoring America's Rivers
Besorgung - Lieferbarkeit unbestimmt
BeschreibungThe politics of building dams and levees and other structures are just part of the policies determining how American rivers are managed or mismanaged. America's well-being depends upon the health of those rivers and important decisions go beyond just dam-building or dam removal. American rivers are suffering from poor water quality, altered flows, and diminished natural habitat. Current efforts by policymakers to change the ways American rivers are managed range from the removal of dams to the simulation of seasonal flows to the restoration of habitat, all with varying degrees of success.
1. Going Down to Rivers: The Possibility of a Journey to Restoration
2. Testing the Waters: The Types of Possible Changes
3. Launching the Trip: Into a New Era for American Rivers
4. Getting in the Strong Current: Embracing New Goals
5. Scouting the Rapids: Learning for the Future
6.Waiting Out the Storms: Opportunities and Challenges
7. Keeper Holes: Difficult Problems to Solve
8. Taking Out: Restorations as Symbols of Shifting Tides Appendix 1: Bibliographical Essay Appendix 2: Statistical Analyses of Dam Removals Notes Bibliography Index
PortraitWilliam R. Lowry is an associate professor of political science at Washington University in St. Louis. He is also a U.S. Navy veteran and has worked as a seasonal ranger in Yosemite National Park. An avid outdoorsman, Lowry has canoed, rafted, swam in, or hiked along nearly every river discussed in Dam Politics.
Pressestimmen" Dam Politics is a greatly useful contribution to the literature on dams and rivers. Lowry's writing style makes for easy reading, and the pages are filled with facts, history, politics, policy, and personalities. Readers involved in their own particular river or locality will find meaty information about other similar places and issues, and this surely is the best indicator of the utility of the book. This volume is likely to have a lasting and positive influence on river restoration. [Dam Politics] is not only a fine read, it is a great service." -- Ecological Restoration
Untertitel: 'American Governance and Public'. Empfohlen ab 22 Jahre. New. Sprache: Englisch.
Verlag: GEORGETOWN UNIV PR
Erscheinungsdatum: März 2003
Seitenanzahl: 320 Seiten